How to naturally detoxify the body and start a healthy life
Dr. Maribel Grullón - Clinical Nutritionist and Sports Medicine
Our body has its own natural detoxification system with all its organs working together to keep our body clean. The intestines, for example, extract nutrients from food to excrete daily waste products. The skin expels waste through sweat, the liver filters toxins in the blood and recycles certain organic compounds necessary for life, the kidneys filter blood to produce urine, a concentrated liquid and full of unwanted waste products.
In a diet to detoxify the body the most important thing is, that the plan provides all the nutrients that the body needs and at the same time helps to eliminate chemicals and industrialized aggregate ingredients that can cause problems to the body. Here are some tips that will help you detoxify your body:
- 1. Eliminate sugary drinks (carbonated drinks, soda, box juices and canned drinks) because they create an acidic environment in the body and do not help with detoxification. The organs are more likely to detoxify in an alkaline environment, which activates the parasympathetic nervous system that is responsible for the digestion to function effectively and is also responsible for filtering waste through the colon and liver.
- 2. Hydration: drink two to three liters of water distributed throughout the day so that the kidneys filter the waste and also help prevent the formation of kidney stones.
- 3. Eliminate from your diet processed or refined foods (fast food or junk, soft drinks, cookies, foods containing dyes).
- 4. Sleep on average seven or eight hours, since the most important stage of liver detoxification is done at night during sleep.
- 5. Reduce stress: the autonomic nervous system that controls the detoxification process in the body is divided into two branches: sympathetic and parasympathetic. Stress prevents the parasympathetic nervous system from activating the detoxification process carried out by the liver and intestines. Stress in turn does not allow detoxification related organs to perform their functions. It is advisable to add some physical activity to the daily routine.
Foods that help with detoxification
Celery helps eliminate toxins, so it is advisable to consume it in green juices mixed with a little ginger, half an hour before breakfast, also grapefruit and lemon are beneficial in the same way.
Strawberries and blueberries contain antioxidants and fibers beneficial to the digestive system.
Vegetables such as spinach, kale, broccoli, contain potassium, magnesium and fibers.
Physical Exercises: a detoxification plan would not be complete without including some exercise routine, since they help circulate blood better and thus reach all organs better. All physical activities are recommended where the body is kept moving and gives you happiness